I recently made a commitment to buy products made in the USA I’ve Accepted The Challenge – Will you? Having the internet has made it easier to research, but more time consuming than just going to Walmart or Amazon, finding the best price and reviews, press the button and done, package on it’s way!
I haven’t been successful in every case. In a recent emergency, I just made the purchase because it was a serious health issue. The current Covid pandemic brought the seriousness of lack of USA medical personal protection devices to light. This also extends to thermometers and oxygen meters.
Another problem is–Coffee. I have a serious coffee addiction. To support my habit I buy large 30 ounce cans of whatever is on sale and stock up. Brazil, Vietnam, Columbia and Indonesia are the top 4 coffee producers. There is no “Made in the USA” when it comes to coffee. Fair Trade Coffee is an option that I’m currently researching. Fair Trade Coffee helps support farmers from wildly fluctuating coffee prices to provide a stable price to provide a living wage for the farmer and his family. https://www.fairtradecertified.org/ gives a good explanation of the details. Even my local Walmart has a good collection of Fair Trade Coffees including Newman’s Own, Ethical Bean and Seattle’s Best. Yes, the price is higher than my discount brands but I can drink less and also waste less.
I am thrilled that Dollar Tree has Gossner’s Boxed Milk back in stock. I’m not a fan of powdered milk so this has been my go to prepper’s milk for the last few years. It has a real milk taste and has a year shelf life. Gossner Foods is a family owned business with locations in Utah and Idaho. The boxes come in quart sizes. I can order a case of 12 for $12 online thru Dollar Tree and have it shipped to their store location for free. My order came just in time before our recent snow storm hit. Prepping for Polar Express 2021 What a relief to have on hand when the roads are bad!
These Keen soft toe work shoes are made in the U.S.A. They are more expensive but are very sturdy and well made. John is very hard on shoes working on the ranch, welding, and chopping cedar trees.
Can a Buy USA plan be done? Yes and No. Some purchases, such as parts for John’s Mahindra tractor (bought used) requires foreign parts. Should we give up? No. If I can achieve a 90% buy USA, and buy used when options are not available or out of our price limit or buy from a country that does not use slavery for the remaining 10%, then I have come a long ways to stop my family’s support of slave labor.
I would like to hear about your successes and failures to Buy Made in the USA.