Spring has arrived swimming up the creek behind our property. Sand Bass meet once a year for a week long mating party, hundreds of them. We make sure we crash the party and invite them to our house for a big fish fry.
Southern gal that I am, they have to be fried with homemade tartar sauce, fried potatoes, corn bread and a dollop of pickled green tomatoes on the side. The pickled green tomatoes were canned from the end of last year’s abundant tomato harvest.
I have to get busy cutting up fish filets but thought I would include a couple of recipes:
Southern Fried Fish
1 cup white flour
1 cup corn meal
Lowrys Seasoning Salt to taste
Vegetable Oil – enough to fill about 1 inch in a frying pan
Cast Iron Skillet
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet.
- Mix white flour and corn meal together in flat bottom dish or gallon size bag.
- Rinse fish in water and dredge in flour mixture
- Add fish to pan after testing oil with a drop of oil. It should sizzle.
- When fish starts to float in oil and is slightly brown, turn with tongs to cook other side.
- Remove fish to paper towel lined platter and lightly dust with Lowry’s.
2 cups Miracle Whip
1/4 cup diced onions
1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
Lowry’s to taste – about 1/8th teaspoon
Mix together. Slather on as desired.